What is the People’s Climate Strategy for Victoria?
The People’s Climate Strategy project is coordinated by Friends of the Earth Melbourne’s Act on Climate collective, and parallels the State Government’s development of the very first Climate Strategy for Victoria. The Victorian Climate Act 2017 requires this to be completed by October this year, though the timeline is likely to be altered due to COVID-19. We know that the government is busy dealing with the response to the pandemic, so we are working to put together a strategy that we can bring to the government, sharing our concerns about climate impacts and ideas for solutions.
Ballarat Climate Action Network are reaching out to our local community to contribute to this process, so that the unique challenges and opportunities of our part of the state are included in the development of the strategy.
Why is this important?
- Your voice matters. Adding your voice to this project will ensure the Victorian government hears from the people and builds the movement for strong and decisive climate action at a state level.
- Local people know local matters and local communities build local solutions.
- We are standing at a crucial point in time and we must do all we can to ensure we head in the right direction from here. The Victorian government needs to hear from the people as well as the voices of the big polluters so that they will make the right decisions about which way we head from here.
How can you get involved?
- Email us, or call BCAN member Liz Wade on 0402 553 181 to find out more.
- Register your interest in attending an upcoming Grampians Region working group meeting (online).
- Fill in the climate impacts survey
- Send in your big idea for climate action to join the call for solutions and spread the message that we know what we need to do and it is time to get on and do it.
- Share the climate impacts survey and big ideas action with your friends and networks to help us hear from a wide and diverse range of people across Victoria.
- Attend one of the upcoming sector forums to hear from experts and have the chance to ask questions about what we can do to reduce emissions across each sector (and catch up on the video of the Energy forum already held on Thursday 20 August here).
- Register for the project to keep up to date, to receive details of upcoming forums and further future actions, and to be notified when the upcoming climate solutions survey is live.
For more background on the project and to register to take part
See https://www.actonclimate.org.au/pcs for all the info, including a registration form, links to the video of the project launch and a podcast version for listening on the go. Or feel free to get in touch by email or call Liz on 0402 553 181